Wednesday, February 7, 2007

...And All the Sinners Are Saints

As I'm in the process of writing my dissertation I can't seem to get out of thinking in academic-English-mode, so this post is going to reflect that in all its boring glory (still managed to squeeze in a little wordplay with the name of a flower though).

Let me begin in the proper formulaic manner from a personal premise. My father (who aren't in heaven) was once arrested and sentenced to banishment from the island of his birth for impersonating popular orator (sympathy for the devil being the theme) and shameless political opportunist (so much for that), Ibrahim Shihab on audiotape. Such an incident might be as commonplace as fashion-challenged men in effeminate plaid-patterned pajama-pants in the Maldives of today but in the days of yore it was definitely worth a "hoo" and a "ha". A simple question comes to mind which, I'm pretty sure, only warrants an answer any respectable somnambulist can give in a state of REM. But are conventional answers really satisfactory? Why the difference? Why do some crimes go through such a radical redefinition? Is this change ethical? Inevitable? Is it right? Should we give a flying fuck?

Take murder for instance. Once a simple crime punishable by geographically, culturally and religiously variable means of retribution. The picture at present is a lot more complicated in Westphalic law which is slowly taking over the world. There's manslaughter, plain old homicide, justifiable homicide in self-defense etcetera etcetera. Now I'm going to hit anyone who's reading this post with my not-quite controversial perspective on the whole shebang (which incidentally is my favorite quote by Emily Deschanel on the tv show Bones. Marry me Emily!). I don't put much stock in psychology (Nadha is SO gonna hate me). Especially when it comes to law courts when juries can be so easily manipulated with paid testimonies from "proffessionals" and "experts". So I'm asking the question. Can murder be justified? Certainly not every murder is equally reprehensible but (there's a but) does the motive justify the means and the end? The very difficulty of establishing motive makes the whole thing even fuzzier for me.

Up next, there's a perennial argument I have with my small group of mostly neo-con friends. Are drugs really so evil? Should they all fall under blanket bans? A very good friend of mine, who ironically despises marijuana, thinks it should be legalized everywhere from his particular economic worldview (Hashim you money-mad Adam Smith, you). His position being that if real honest-to-goodness shops sold good quality weed then there would be less crime associated with the sale and use of it. I certainly agree. If regular cigarettes were outlawed I would be the first person to kill, steal and suck cock in order to get my fix.

Now out of the courts and into the streets. What's the foremost concern which is a universal constant for all of us beyond the age of 10? (Ten being an arbitrary number based on when I first ejaculated. I define the very concept of tell-all, no?) Not hard to guess what the answer I was expecting for my own question was. Sex. And one of the biggest complaints and criticisms centering around people's sex lives have to do with sexual promiscuity.

But what really is promiscuity? The word has a tidy little definition but it's unsupported by surveys or statistics. So we're all free, as we please, to use it to derogate people who just simply have more sex than we do (whether out of jealousy, contempt or disgust doesn't really concern me). Why is extreme promiscuity either called a criminal tendency stemming from moral bankruptcy or a psychological defect? Are we really that much more free-thinking than we were, say, a century ago? I've certainly called a few people sluts and whores in my time (those of you who immediately assumed the people I'm referring to were women have only yourselves to blame for giving a gendered meaning to asexual words). But why do we do it? There certainly isn't one single reason but it's worth thinking about. So with an abrupt admonition to practice more introspection (as if any of us really needed a reminder to do that) I shall sign off. Au revoir mon amis.

10 comments:

Kaainaath said...

How about all saints sin too!

Goodbye to you too...

Athena said...

Good luck with your Dissertation, I had one heck of a time when I was doing my thesis. Thank God I am over that now...

About legalizing drugs, I tend to agree with your friend, legalising has its benefits.

hmmmm, I usually enjoy reading your blog, this one is very different to your usualy style and harder to read.

And please don't diss psychologists in the future!

Maldivian Devil said...

My take on this drugs/sex issue and those who seek the moral/religious high ground is that "morality is but the lack of opportunity"...and no, its not my name that's first on the list on those going into the new rehab in the Maldives..;)

Would've loved to hear your dad impersonate that Vai Gulhi Mr.Ibrahim Shihab. He definitely has a very "impersonatable" style and me thinks is ideal material for stand up comedy.

hamzah said...

Yusuf: 'Cors it goes both ways. Why the final-sounding goodbye? You off to Jihad? LOLZ. Just yanking you man.

Athena: Thanks. I'm not loving mine either. Really envy you.

Glad you agree. It does seem pointless to ban something which you know goes on anyway and in the end, ends up in the hands of organized crime. The Maldivian government especially needs to accept that they won't be able to stop people from drinking and partying and by legalizing it, try to make a couple of bucks from it.

I couldn't get into the usual funk I do when I write. My apologies really. If it's any consolation I only become this dry and morose once in a while.

Still got some beef with shrinks. Maybe you can help me overcome my prejudice :D.

Devil: My sentiments exactly. Too many people believe that "if you can't join 'em then hate 'em".

My dad's a hoot and I'm speaking objectively. We have our differences but stand the guy in front of a TVM program and you can end up in stitches.

Athena said...

Sorry hamza
I am not that into that kinda pyschology anymore, i got burned out from clinical, hehe one year of practice in male' tends to do that, so I have switched over to another dicipline of pyschology.

Isn't it funny when people say psychology or psychologist, they suddenly think of clinical psychology? there are a lot more types and branches of psychology out there and I bet a lot of people don't even know about it or have never heard it.

Princess nyssa said...

THATS MY BROTHER RIGHT THERE....Umah......i chose looks you chose books...hehehehehe

Athena said...

great to hear that you chose books. A dude with something worthwhile to say is much atrractive than some eye-candy!
heheh, no offence to you princess nyssa, just talking about dudes here

hamzah said...

That was our favorite line from the movie Matilda actually Athena. Thanks for the compliment but my sister was being kinda sarcastic. I am bookish but a far cry from your stereotypical nerd. I'm not saying this to protect some kind of macho ideal of what a man should be. Far from it. It's just that anyone who knows me actually thinks I'm too fashion-conscious and obsessed with my looks :P. Hahaha.

Athena said...

thats cute

Thom said...

love the view point on the whole promiscuity issue... interesting read. good stuff :)