Sunday, April 29, 2007

Me, My Blog & I

Lately, I've been neglecting this poor thing so much. It's like this with every pet project of mine. I start out nurturing and obsessive about the poor thing's health to the point of being maternal (minus the breastfeeding - I've tried that when I was a 108 kg with my fire-point Persian. Contrary to schoolyard wisdom, man-boobs are still technically chests). But after a few weeks of TLC someone has to call in the RSPCA.

I guess I could pick from a whole list of possible excuses;
  • I spent the whole of Easter break (spring break for you Americans - neo-colonialist bastards the lot of you! *shudders with rage*) doing absolutely nothing consequential (except for saving the world once or twice. It is rumored that if I don't jack off more than three times a day the apocalypse is bound to ensue. Butterflies' wings people, butterflies' wings) so I was left with two days to put together random bits of incoherent gobbledygook off the top of my head under an important sounding title (basically what George W. Bush's speech-writing staff do on a daily basis. Zzzzing!).
  • My dad's not doing well (awwww).
  • I found a goldmine of old Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes on www.projectw.org (there you are lads. Free publicity. Now let my girlfriend go! *violin music*) which I still enjoy although I am aware that teenagers and twenty-somethings don't really spout that kind of pop-culture commentary.
OR I could just tell you the truth. Which is kinda sorta in the general area of the last excuse, which I thought deserved a position on my list of justifications right after the possibly fatal illness of my father (ah go figure). In all honesty, I've just been lazy and careless.

*Looks intense* Me and you, we've been through so much, blog. It's sad but I guess the honeymoon phase is over. I still love you and I'm prepared for a commitment but....that spark. It's missing. All we've got left is a warm, cozy little fire which I'm hoping is enough to sustain us in our golden years.

So to give you a sample of my newfound interests. Here are a few tracks produced by Mark Ronson, who I believe may be the second coming!! Hallelujah!!!!!

The first one is a cover of the Kaiser Chiefs' Oh My God. Which was literally my first response to this addictive club refunkification of the original track (which - to the horror of most purists - I liked but stopped liking before it got to the love phase). What's even better than the jazzalicious horns and dance-ey vibe are the vocals by Lily Allen. Love that girl. No one can out-ironically-sing her.



This next track, another cover, namely, of The Smiths' Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before, has vocals by Daniel Merriweather (he of the unfortunately ponce-like surname). It takes some getting used to - an acquired taste as far as I'm concerned anyway. But even for those who hate the first listen, the last part where Daniel launches into a soulful rendition of The Supremes' You Keep Me Hangin' On is guaranteed to titillate.



Ah! This reminds me of my short stint as a dj at VOM last summer. Hope to be back there in June boo (yeah you pesticles). So people, remember my name, I'm gonna live forever.......

7 comments:

MurasakiOnAcid said...

The irony in the voice indeed, the cocknification of the yorkshire original. just doesnt sound right, when a "..it dont matter to me " is said in cockney. Shouldn't it be "it dunnot matter" in cockney. I dont know. Call me a purist.and Ilove the leeds boys. as for the club vibe I would like it speeded up 5 times with a bit more of the Fedde le grand type beat. but then a again cant blame a girl for being homesick from all the touring, not too bad but Im not awestruck.
As for the other one, I simply prefer the smiths original, purely because merryweathers voice grates on my skull resonationg to the annoying frequency with him shouting "stop me stop stop me oh stop me" while Im more than happy to just "stop" him. And the bit from the supremes - keep me hanging on infact does'nt do any favours to the song, but leaves me longing for the original song. Set me free why dont cha baby, get out my life why dont cha baby, cos it just keeps me hanging on for the better song.

hamzah said...

Oi! Harsh - much? I'm not that much of an Anglophile to pick up on these British dialects (except for North-Londonese - cos it's funny). Well nostalgia apart The Supremes' version of You Keep Me Hangin' On (enjoyable disco confectionary that it was) doesn't quite resonate with me in the way that I want it to either. Diana Ross just doesn't have the voice or the ability to emote to get the full force of those lyrics through.

Love, love, love, Fedde le Grande's Put Your Hands Up For Detroit though. Can't stop playing it over and over and just going all crazy on it.

I love the nastiness though. Keep it up. I hardly ever get criticism that reminds me of me. In my defense - I love the neo-jazz movement so excuse a man his peculiar fancies.

Athena said...

Just recovering from Easter break myself.

MurasakiOnAcid said...

No offense for you my dear hamzah darling and I know you wont take it that way either you know Im not really a bitch. its just the songs, it brings out the passion in me. me myslef and music. I feel that I am the undiscovered superstar radio dj myself, and I have important things to say, and this comes out from time to time.
I am in love with bodyrox feat. luciana - yeah yeah. even got it as a ring tone, ( I know some times I can be sad.) but if someone says whats my favourite tune at the moment I'd say "on call" by kings of leon. both great tunes.
neo-jazzmovement- all for it. its good.

hamzah said...

Hahaha. Softened you up din't I? Nah much appreciate your views. Oh yeah I love Yeah Yeah Yeah. Not into the vocals much but that beat is awesome.

Princess nyssa said...

Heyyy there you are, i knew you'd come around. We both have the same problem you see. We start out these "projects" with some much excitement and eventually it fades into nothingness...but this blog thing has held out longer than usual and i am proud of it you should be too. Plus thank you for introducing me to blogging.... Music makes me lose control..hey beequas check out wierd Al's dont download this song...these days i dont have time to even listen to music only when i am going back and forth from work(shame on me i know). Do you know my working hours have changed and i have to start at 8.00...till about 7.00 in the evening...Lifes a bitch but gotta keep that big wheel turning.
but i'll have loads of new music when you come back woohoooo and if you can your hands on new episodes of dextor i'll be eternally greatful. I dont know why but whenever i get free time i keep playing "I Walk the line " by johnny cash ova and ova again..Go figure

hamzah said...

Proud Nisa keep on earnin'.

Sho 'nuff. I got music practically oozin' outta me ears. Mostly dance tracks this time around. I've evolved from a stuffy alternative-cum-jazz fan to a dude who totally loves experimentation. Check out the radio edit of Dancin' In the Dark by Mickey Modelle vs. Jessy. I just love the corniness and earnestness of the song.