Sunday, December 3, 2006

L Is For Lesbians


I've spent the better part of last week catching up on my newest obsession. Showtime's The L Word. It's unclear for me exactly why I started watching this show. I know two important things. I'm a straight guy and this show is about physically attractive lesbians. But I can't for the life of me figure out the connection between them. It's the world's most complicated two-piece puzzle.


To say the show exceeds expectations would be an understatement. Even the kind of expectations someone who bought a Barker Lounger, twelve rolls of toilet paper and a bottle of baby oil especially for viewing comfort would have had before watching three seasons of this show. It's so well-written that it can distract you from all the girl-on-girl action going on (and that, my friends, is no small feat).


A word of caution though. This is not a show for everyone as the warnings, before the show's trademark retrospective prologue, intone in a deeply forbidding voice (do they use the same viewer-discretion-is-advised-guy for all the shows or is there some kind of training camp?). Still, if you're able to overcome any prejudices you have against alternative lifestyles and decide to stop ignoring the elephants in your rooms (especially when those elephants are slender, undeniably hot, lesbians) then start tivo-ing mainstream schlock like Desperate Housewives/Prison Break/Lost etc. so that you can watch them after a two day marathon of The L Word.

Just to give you a taste of what the show is about without giving too much away, here's a trailer for the third season which was tastefully done to Fisher's version of the Nat King Cole classic L.O.V.E.. Why? Because the L in The L Word stands for love you dirty-minded simpletons!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tried to watch this show a coupla times this year ...
but its just boring ...
may be its me ... but i just cudnt go on ...
but i do agree ... it was tastefully done ...
enjoy the show ...

hamzah said...

Like I said, not for everyone.