Sunday, December 10, 2006

No, Virginia, There Was No Iron Maiden


If I was a young Goth child I would be kicking and screaming in a black leather straitjacket. With metal spikes. And nipple clamps. Because, I was just rudely awakened from a happy jaunt through the instruments of torture used during the 15th and 16th centuries when I came across the revelation that the Iron maiden (lovely little deathbox pictured above) was a 19th century hoax!!! How dare those frilly-pantalooned puffy-shirted liars build up our hopes about the extent of human cruelty only to have it shattered by the ugly, mediocre, relatively painless truth?!!!


Our only consolation is that thumbscrews, the seven stations of the cross and drawing and quartering did exist (in simpler, happier times), as far as we know. As far as I ever want to know!!!


No comments: