Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hello Old Friend


I wanted to be the first to blog about Courteney Cox's new show, Dirt on FX. Matt LeBlanc had his chance with Joey but it turned out to be such a crapfest that the name Joey instantly became a synonym for anything bad and/or unwatchable (e.g:- The TV show Supernatural is SO joey. Or. Jay Leno, that joey bastard!). Matthew Perry went under the radar with Studio 60. I'm still waiting for it to turn into a real cult favorite before watching it (like Arrested Development) but I won't stop the clocks or let a cake rot in the background (never expected a Great Expectations reference didja? No matter how forced or unnecessary to the context). But good old Monica Geller just hit pay dirt (which will be my first and last wordplay with the title of this show).

She made the right decision not bringing in any baggage from Friends (we're still waiting for Jennifer Aniston to get out of character). This show isn't politically correct, it's not warm and fuzzy and it doesn't pretend that the United States of America consists of only good-looking, white heterosexuals who never have sex in front of a camera (and for those of you who are wondering, yes that is Spawn's cape Cox is wearing in the picture and no she isn't anemic, she's actually a vampire!)

So all you extremely unpathetic and sexually fulfilled people out there who are valiantly keeping the faith that six middle-aged men and women will once again sit down at Central Perk for a rousing chorus of Smelly Cat, I'd like to wish you a very happy upside-down-day. Throw a hat on me and call me mad already (I'm on fire with the lit-refs today).


**UPDATE** - Here's a little something for anyone even remotely interested in this show.
In the immortal words of Christina Aguilera - "Gonna get dirty..".

5 comments:

Athena said...

Have you seen, Lisa Kudrow's The Comeback? Not much of a comeback if you ask me.

Simon said...

Woah shiver me timbers!

Yeah I've heard of Joey and it's own err Joeyness.

Friends really did spoil the career of the friends didn't it? The characters just got into them.

In fact, friends spoiled the whole series thing for me. That and X-files. Now I just watch repeats of Careless Whispers on TVM spotlight. Oh wait, that was 15 years ago.

Blardy hell!

hamzah said...

Aww that's a pity athena. I've always thought Lisa Kudrow had the best comedic timing of the whole lot. Maybe it was because Phoebe was the only non-cookie-cutter personality written for the whole show.

And Simon you've just established how old you are for the whole world. LOL.

Simon said...

Hamza,

That was never an issue. I've even posted about my age some year and a half ago here. :)

RudeBoy Noah said...

don't wait to check studio 60 out, its really worth seeing, though its arms are tied by being on prime time television
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/Studio_60_On_The_Sunset_Strip.html#Studio%2060%20On%20The%20Sunset%20Strip_1