Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Like They Did In Babylon

The first thing 2007 has given me is writer's block (bad year! Naughty, naughty!). The New Year's eve bash and the fact that I had my morning-after experience at 5 pm today might have something to do with it (although its just a theory). So I've been medicating myself with music such as Madeleine Peyroux's version of Leonard Cohen's Dance Me To the End of Love (listen to it below please, so you can all go ga-ga over how mature and sophisticated my musical taste is for my age).



Although I felt obliged to mention that prolific but gloomy Cohen wrote this beautiful piece of art he might as well just strike his name off the record and hand it to Peyroux. No offense to all you originalists but this is a woman who can sing in perfect French and, at the tender age of 32, sound like jazz greats such as Billie Holiday in their prime. This song is hers. Listen to Cohen's version and compare if you don't believe me.

Ah music. It's my crack. Some of you may laugh at this comparison but rock & roll, rap and even tame old Jazz have been outlawed in their time and consequently forced underground. So by relation drugs might not be all that bad (I can already see the invitations to speak at seminars pouring in). Maybe Amsterdam and Rastafarianism have got it right.

By Jove, eureka and gadzooks! I've just decided on New Year resolution number one - get dreadlocks and move to the Netherlands!

3 comments:

Princess nyssa said...

HEY YOU KNOW WHAT!! I THINK YOU'D LOOK RILLY GOOD IN DREADS. BUT SINCE YOUR BROTHER IS BALD I DONT THINK EXPERIMENTATION WITH YOUR HAIR IS THE BEST WAY TO GO. AND DID YOU RIGHT THAT BIT BOUT NEW YEARS HEHEH COOOL.
BEEUQAS JUST KEEPS ON GETTING BETTER GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME.. AND BY THE BY I WILL BE ATTENDING MY FIRST DJ SESSION WITH MANAL TODAY......

hamzah said...

Yeah just had to modify the old song from the Wizard of Oz but 80% of it is mine.
Whoah Manahl! He's like the real thing ain't he? Not a newbie poser like me. Recommend Sharam's PATT to him if he isn't playing it already. You'll have to tell me how hard he can bring it so I can bring it harder. So you becoming a dj too? A clubrat like you would make a natural spin doctor I'm sure. Still waiting for my new year call though :P.

Maldivian Devil said...

yah! Hail to His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Elect of God, Light of this World, King of Zion!

and to Bob Marley too...